Sunday 4 November 2012


As an industry, it could be claimed that fashion is one of the least accepting in the world however I can see both sides of the argument for i-D's "Diversity NOW!" campaign. On one hand you've got the desire to accept everyone no matter their age or size, many agree with this as something that could change how catwalk shows and editorial shoots are seen. Like all things in fashion you can see that this works on a cyclical basis as in the 1960's many became obsessed with shifting from iconic curvy women such as Marilyn Monroe to skinny, "boyish" body shapes like that of Audrey Hepburn, you can see aspects of this shift coming back in the opposite way. 

One of my favourite current articles published in issue 215 of Dazed & Confused is that of "perennial  style queen" Iris Apfel explaining how she has been vital in elevating fashion to an art form. She is seen modelling the Autumn/Winter 2012 Comme Des Garcons collection, and in my opinion I think she looks fantastic. (Images shown below)


On the other hand, and in my personal opinion, editorial spreads and even more so catwalk shows should be seen as a dreamlike experience that no mere mortal can be included in, thus the use of beautiful, skinny, young models help to provide an escape. Almost like watching a film in which you are submersed into the characters deepest feelings through the use of nonsensical themes, cinematography and music. There are many examples I could use to emphasise my notion, from Alexander McQueen to Chanel, however this has to be one of my all time favourite catwalk shows. 


Thanks for reading.
And, feel free to let me know your opinions.


No comments:

Post a Comment