Saturday 3 November 2012

Before I moved to Epsom to start my Fashion Journalism course at UCA the range of fashion magazines I read wasn't very broad, in fact, I only really read Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and LOVE, but recently I've been venturing into London more and buying a wider array of magazines. If I had to recommend two magazines from my selection below I would have to say that I Love You and Arena Homme Plus are my personal favourites.




I Love You is a magazine that focuses predominantly on female fashion and culture and is published online simultaneously as a blog edited by editor in chief Christiane Bördner. In smaller writing under the title it says "my printed blog" thus emphasising that the majority of the content features on the accompanying website, however the magazine has a few advertisement pages but not as many as other magazines on the market. The one thing I adore about this issue  is that it has a sense of empowering it's audience through bold text pages that drive home a sense of being true to yourself, such as these;



Arena Homme Plus is a menswear magazine, which isn't usually in my interest as I really enjoying women's fashion more, maybe it's my homosexual tendencies appearing because for some reason I can't stop flicking through this magazine, the photography really emphasises the beauty of the men. The magazine shares many similar aspects to Vogue, such as its vast amount of advertising and glossy pages, but Homme Plus article layout is more like something you'd see in Dazed & Confused. One aspect the magazine has that I've never seen in any other magazine is the inclusion of smaller, thinner pages inside that simply add more pictures to the already existing ones, which I really like. In comparison to GQ it focuses more on just fashion as opposed to lifestyle and culture as well. 


Thanks for reading.


Magazines featured in first picture (left to right);

No comments:

Post a Comment